You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Freedom of Choice to start from 20th Jan 2011

The new scheme of the Telecom Department, Freedom Of Choice, will come into effect from 20th Jan 2011. According to this plan, a cell phone user can switch his mobile network as he pleases, at the same time retaining his old number. All the major networks are included. The cost would be just Rs. 19.

How to do it?

STEP1
    SEND AN SMS TO 1900 IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT: PORT (YOUR MOBILE NO.) brackets not needed

STEP2
    yOU WILL GET AN SMS REPLY THAT CONTAINS A UNIQUE CODE.

STEP3
    SMS TO THE PREFERRED OPERATOR QUOTING THIS UNIQUE CODE.

STEP4
    yOUR EXISTING OPERATOR WILLL CHECK WITH THE NEW OPERATOR, AND IF THERE ARE NO DUES, THEN APPORVAL WILL BE GIVEN FOR PORTING.

STEP5
    YOU WILL RECEIVE AN SMS INTIMATING YOU ABOUT THE DATE AND TIME OF PORTING. RULES STATE THAT THE PROCESS SHOULD BE COMPLETED WITHIN 4 DAYS OF APPLYING.

STEP6
    AFTER PORTING IS COMPLETE, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN SMS FROM YOUR NEW OPERATOR. DURING PORTING YOUR PHONE MAY BE DEAD FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS.

So get ready for the new fun!
    At present, by seeing the number of a mobile phone, it was easy to identify the operator. The first 4 digits of mobile number indicates the operator and the operating area. By MNP, we are losing that opportunity.

Also, while transfering the mobile number from one operator to the other, make sure that the current account have zero balance. Otherwise, you will loose all the balance in your current account, and after transfer, the balance will be zero.

But, it is a good opportunity for the mobile users, as some networks have a very little or no signal in some areas.

Loss and Gain are the two sides of a Coin.
    For every Gain, there should be a Loss.
    When I Gain something from you, definitely you loose that, and when you gain something from me, I loose it.

Hi Joseph,

Mobile number portability is a necessary need of mobile phone users. I am not much sure whether it will start on the date you mentioned because it was a long days before government keep on saying mobile number portability will start today, tomorrow , next day...and now I extended my desire to 20th after your thread. Any way we can expect this facility very soon, by which

1. Mobile service providers will become in competition to provide goog service.
    2. No need of bearing the poor service without changing old number.

It is much helpful the procedure you explained. If you got the access in resource section then give a detailed step by step procedure there.

with regards,
    Hamza Palengara

The mobile number portability had introduced in India after a long time.It was announced at a previous date and postponed for many time.It is a good idea in my sense.But there will be some security issues I think.An idea customer when migrating to BSNL customer his identity proof is with the idea itself.Here he is asked to submit the id proof.But eventhough it had given tracking of this customer will be very difficult as the database is with idea server.

I hadn't heard any one who changed from one service to another service so far.The dual SIM will end with this MNP introduction.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.