Drumsticks / Murungaikai – 2 (chopped into 2 inch pieces)
Small onions / shallots – 15 (peeled and chopped)
Garlic cloves – 10 (peeled)
Tomato – 2 (diced)
Kuzhambu milagai thool – 2 tbsp
:- You can substitute this for sambar powder
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Garlic cloves – 4 (crushed with skin)
Black pepper – 10 (crushed)
Gingily oil – 1 tbsp
Tamarind – 1 medium lemon sized (soaked in 1 cup water and pulp extracted)
Jaggery – ½ tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
Gingily oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Dry red chilies – 4
Curry Vadam – 2 tsp
Method of preparation:
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai. Add the tempering ingredients and saute till nice aroma arises from the curry vadam.
2. Add onions, curry leaves, peeled garlic pods and saute till onions start turning brown.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook covered on low heat till tomatoes turn pulpy.
4. Add the drumsticks and cook covered for a few minutes.
5. Meanwhile add kuzhambu milagai thool, turmeric powder, salt to taste, jaggery and 2 cups of water to the tamarind pulp and mix well.
6. Add the tamarind mixture to the drumsticks and cook covered till water level is reduced to the desired semi gravy consistency.
7. Add the crushed garlic and crushed pepper along with 1 tbsp oil, give it a stir and remove from fire. Keep the curry closed.
8. Drumstick puli kuzhambu is ready to be served with rice, idli or dosa.
Happy Cooking :)