Any kind of leafy vegetable - 1 bunch (picked and washed and chopped)
Thur dhal - 1 cup
Onion - 1/2 (chopped lengthwise)
Green chillies - 2 (slit lengthwise)
Tomato - 1 (diced)
red chillies - 2
Tamarind - half a small lemon sized piece (soaked and pulp extracted)
Garlic - 4 cloves
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Aesafetida - 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Method of preparation:
1. Soak dhal for a while and pressure cook with tomato, garlic and turmeric powder for 5 whistles. Once done mash nicely with a ladle.
2. Heat oil in a vessel. Add cumin seeds and aesafetida followed by onion and curry leaves and saute till the onions turn translucent.
3. Now add the chopped spinach with half a cup of water and sambar powder and salt to taste, and cook covered until the spinach is cooked well.
4. Now add the tamarind pulp and cook covered for 5 minutes.
5. Add the dhal and mix well. Add enough water to make it a curry consistency and cook covered for 5 minutes.
6. Heat ghee in a wok and add mustard. Once it splutters add the red chillies and pour this over the curry and remove from fire.
Serve hot with rice.
Happy cooking :)